It is highly recommended you change your email password regardless and turn on a form of two-factor authentication to heighten security and prevent any possible future attacks.
Here are some other tips to protect your accounts and private data:
- Do no use the same password or variations of the same password for your accounts
- Change your account passwords frequently.
- Always check you bank accounts and other financial accounts fro fraudulent charges.
- Review your credit report for fraud at least annually.
- Have two-factor authentication whenever possible.
- The longer the password is, the exponentially more difficult it becomes to crack.
- To help remember the password, use it immediately. Then log in and out several times the first day.
- Do not provide your password or other private data when solicited via email or phone, this could be a social engineering attempt. Most reputable companies will not ask for this information via email and financial institutions NEVER do. If they claim there is an issue with your account do not click on the link provided go to the company’s main website and access your account from there.
- Report attacks and social engineering attempts to the company being impersonated.
- NEVER give your password to anyone!
Please go and change your gmail password and if you have not changed your other passwords in a while use this as an opportunity to do so!
Stay safe & smart!